Tuesday, 10 January 2017

P2(a) Setting Up equipment

Meaning and Purpose:

Camera:

Canon 7D

I used a Canon 7D Mark 1 to shoot the whole of my film, I have experience with this camera and was able to use its versatility to capture every planned shot as well as inserts and the unplanned opening shots in my film. The camera also performs well in low-light conditions such as my dialogue scene in the dark box which I was able to shoot due to the camera's ISO abilities.
Image result for canon 7d






Below is a screenshot from the film in which the above equipment was used.



Canon EF-S 18-55mm Lens


My 18-55mm lens featured heavily in the film being the most versatile lens I had. It gave me a good wide angle when needed which was useful for my opening establishing shots in the box. Being a Canon made lens I found it also paired well with my Canon 7D Camera Body and was very functional. The idea of having a kit lens that can act as a wide angle lens as well as a zoom lens is very useful, it gives a good range of angles and allowed me to get closer to my actors while keeping the correct framing, the only trouble with this lense is pulling focus, with this lens focus pulling is very clunky and makes a slight mechanical sound when being done. I would suggest never using the auto focus feature on this lense for that reason as the sound will affect the film's audio too much to be worth it. All-in-all however this lens was very useful and as I said I used it throughout the film due to its functionality and versatility in terms of the angles it provides.


Image result for canon 18-55mm

Below is a screenshot from the film in which the above equipment was used.



Kit:

Tripod


My old tripod was used frequently on the shoot due to my hands not being very steady. The tripod gave me far more use than simple steadiness however, it also allowed me to Tilt and Pan which I found gave the film a more interesting look. Which is featured in one of my ending shots in the kitchen as well as panning which is seen in the shot connected to the image of the tripod. I really like getting slider shots on the tripod as I think the steady image is very professional and allows me to express a sense of movement.



Below is a screenshot from the film in which the above equipment was used.


Kamerar Slider / Dolly

I used my slider prominently in the opening of the film, this was due to my personal style and opinion being that camera movement can make a film far more watchable as opposed to static shots, I found a small amount of sliding with the camera made the scenes far more visually interesting.
Image result for kamerar
Below is a screenshot from the film in which the above equipment was used.


Audio:

RØDE VideoMic


For a lot of the scenes that required audio I used my RØDE VideoMic which is very good for capturing dialogue as seen in in the film. The audio being clean and professional was important to me as I am of the mind that bad audio is unacceptable in something that needs to appear professional, bad video can be forgiven however bad audio is too recognisable for it to be ignored in projects such as this. The RØDE mic gave me everything I needed and had a clean and rich sound. I shot all of my audio using it, the microphone is very easy to set up and only requires that it be plugged into the camera and turned on, it slides to the top of the camera for ease of use however for some shots (the box scene) I held the camera in one hand and the microphone in the other, closer to the actors, to get a better sound quality to the dialogue.



Below is a screenshot from the film in which the above equipment was used.

No comments:

Post a Comment