Tuesday, 10 January 2017

P3(b) Producing and Reviewing an Off Line Edit

 Meaning and Purpose

The editing process is the final step in ensuring a quality end product, it involves piecing together the film using all of the footage gathered and recorded by the crew and collating, combining and adding effects to this to give a powerful and watchable end product.



When we then placed the clips into the timeline I then proceeded to use the razor tool to cut clips to the exact length they were needed to be. The tool bar can be seen below, the razor tool being the sixth icon in from both sides (directly in the middle). This toll splices a clip so that hit becomes cut into two clips on the point at which you click the clip with the tool, this then allows footage to be deleted as well as some more advanced editing techniques such as frame skipping and impactful cuts.


I then placed the clips on levels known in the Adobe suite as 'layers' this allowed the overlap of footage which I found useful for advanced editing as well as more common processes such as titles, crossfades and crosscutting. The layout of my final timeline can be seen below, I used 3 layers for visual elements such as titles, crossfades and the base footage for the scenes. From this placement (and using the razor tool to ensure the clips were spliced in the correct way) I then added more advanced techniques into the edit.


One of the more basic effects of editing I used was fades, to give the film a nice entrance I faded in the original base footage as well as any titles that came in at the beginning of the film, I also did this with the audio files at the beginning to help ease the audience into the scene helping with building a sense of immersion within the viewers of the film.


I also used some sound editing techniques to control wind noise and unwanted lip smacking by lowering the levels of the volume, this makes the film quieter in general but helps a lot with the clarity of dialogue and can make the film feel more professional and high quality. An example of a track I did this to is shown below, I lowered the final parts of the clip because unneeded noise was taking up the space, giving an unprofessional feel to the scene, I used keyframing (the process of changing values of a clips variables such as opacity or volume in relation to the current tracking point of the clip on the timeline) to make the last 1 second of the clip much quieter, this helped transition into the next scenes more quiet atmosphere as well as the aforementioned boost in quality of the final product.


Once I had placed the clips correctly and had their interactions and transitional effects fully finished I then moved onto to correcting colour, colour grading and adjust the brightness and contrast of the individual clips used in the film. This helps the film's visual quality as well as making it more appealing to viewers as well as more visually stimulating. I did this by adding effects onto the clips such as 'Brightness and Contrast" and "Color Balance" and then adjusting the levels of these effects for each of the clips that I wanted to effect a change to. In most of the box shots for instance I turned the blue up for the scene (as shown below, I achieved the effect by turning down the red and green shadows) I did this to make this shot seem colder, emphasising the loneliness of the man in the box. In contrast to that in the shots which the villain outside the box moving around freely in the outside world I made the green and red much more vibrant and the blue was the turned down colour, this was to emphasise the freedom of the villain as well as his greed and jealousy.












No comments:

Post a Comment